Through faith, love, kindness and respect our St John's family shall
flourish and grow
Welcome to the St John's PE page!
PE Manager - Mr McGurk
His email address is: email@example.com
Physical Education is an integral part of our curriculum at St John's School and our children enjoy it. We strive to create a culture that is inclusive and engages all pupils. We aim to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that enable all children to achieve their personal best - to shine. We provide a safe and supportive environment for all children to flourish in a range of different physical activities which is essential in supporting their physical, emotional, spiritual, social and moral development.
Our curriculum aims to improve the well-being and fitness of all children, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes- respect and sportsmanship being key.
Children develop the knowledge, skills and competence to excel in a broad range of sports and physical activities. All children participate in competitive sport which can be against self and/ or others. We provide opportunities for children to compete in inter school sporting activities where the young person’s motivation, competence and confidence are at the centre of the competition. All children have the faith that they can achieve well.
We wish to inspire an active generation to love PE, show kindness to each other and achieve. We encourage our children to transfer our school values into our sporting activities to create a positive attitude towards physical wellbeing. Therefore, enabling pupils to make informed decisions to lead healthy and active lives long into the future.
At St John's we provide challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities.
- Pupils participate in high quality PE lessons each week covering two different sports/ skills focuses each half term.
- The long-term plan for PE sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
- PE lessons are taught discretely throughout the year by a qualified sports coach from Howard School Sports Partnership- if we can link them to our topic we do - but we don't try to force them.
- All teachers have access to planning and resources that are adapted to the individual needs of the children in their class. This ensures progression across units and across the years as the children move through the school.
- Our playground markings are used as an integral part of our PE lessons ensuring all children are physically active throughout all PE lessons.
- Children are encouraged to stay active at break times and lunchtimes and can access a variety of equipment including various climbing apparatus and resources to share with others.
At St John's School, we ensure that our PE curriculum is progressive and allows children to develop fundamental skills and apply them to a variety of sports and activities. We aim to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children
not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines that PE promotes including resilience, respect and challenge. Physical activity has a positive impact on learning in the classroom. Children can represent the school at local sporting festivals. Sporting achievements both in and out of school are shared in Celebration Assembly. All pupils understand the values and importance of fair play and being a good sportsperson. Children understand how to lead a healthy lifestyle and understand the importance of regular exercise. We aspire for children to enjoy PE and develop a love of sport and physical activity which becomes part of their future life outside of infant school.
Ideas for PE activities at home